This is better than Chocolate Mousse! By FAR! The chocolate seal on the top is the best part.
1 2/3 cups heavy whipping cream
1 1/4 cups whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
8 ounces ORGANIC semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped ( I use Black and Green brand) 70% Cacao
6 large egg yolks
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine cream, milk, sugar, and vanilla. Whisk to blend and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add chopped chocolate and whisk until all chocolate has melted. Remove from heat.
3. In a large bowl, lightly beat egg yolks. Then, in a slow, steady stream, add chocolate-cream mixture, whisking until smooth. (if you poor to fast or don't whisk fast enough you will cook the eggs and ruin the dessert!)
4. Divide mixture among 6 ramekins or small custard bowls (about 6 ounces each), and place them in a large high-sided baking dish or baking pan. Make a bain-marie, or water bath, by pouring cold water into baking dish so it comes halfway up sides of ramekins or custard bowls.
5. bake on center rack 1 hour, or until custards jiggle slightly in center when gently shaken (custards will thicken as they chill). Let cool to room temperature and then refrigerate until cold. Serve cool.